2008年8月12日星期二

lecture2

I went to Curtis Lecture Hall to listen a lecture about skin cells and their factions last week. This was the first time that I can "learn" something as a university student in York University. When I came to the classroom, I really got surprised again. Because I had an experience that listen a lecture in George Brown College, I was surprised seeming that classroom which can take 200 students. When I saw this classroom which can take more than 500 students I was really exciting. We chose two seats which were in front of the professor. The professor showed the power point with some skin cells pictures, and told us how the melanin cells control skin’s color, protect nucleolus and fix the broken DNA chain. Basically, I understood 70% of that lecture. I found that some of that knowledge which I learned in biology class from high school. Some students asked questions during that lecture, and the professor answered them very patiently. That lecture was about 45mintes, and I enjoined it.

1 条评论:

Don 说...

If you can really connect the background knowledge you have about a subject -- which you studied at home, in the past, in your native language -- with the content of a lecture here, then you are doing o.k.

But it will be more important to do your studying in English as you get into university courses, because very soon you will need to do all of your thinking about that subject in English as well.

Some students try to keep going for a while in university, basically translating material for themselves -- but it is a huge amount of work, and eventually it becomes too difficult. As soon as you can, try to use only English at school . . .